So it has been a year and a half since I wrote an update and so much has happened in this time. A lot of milestones/goals have been met – some that I planned for and others that were serendipitous! Let’s see, the last real update I wrote was in November 2016 and I talked about moving to Toronto. While I think about writing an annual reflection post, I hardly ever do so. So here is my random time of the year sort-of-annual recap post that is late by 5 months if it were annual! A lot of exciting things have happened in the last year and a half and let me list them here:
- A couple of months after moving to Toronto, I moved apartments and found a place that I love and have been calling home for a year and a half. I am yet to print photographs for the empty photo frames and put old artwork and decor stuff on walls. Is this because I’ve been extremely busy and haven’t had the time or the motivation to do that. Or because some part of me feels that this home may not be permanent and I haven’t found myself willing to invest the effort. This is a question I don’t have the answer for. I find this change in personality rather intriguing. I am the same person who decorated and put up quotes and photographs in dorm rooms that I knew I would be living in only for a year. Oh well, moving on!
- Unexpectedly, I spent my thirtieth birthday with a meetup group of solo travelers at a ski resort and I wrote about that here. I made two close friends on that trip and I still see them every month!
- I have made a couple of really close friends in Toronto at work. I love them to bits and they’ve made Toronto feel like home for me!
- The main reason I had decided to move to Canada from the States about two years ago was to get Permanent Residency. I had been working on gathering the documents for over a year and applied right after I started working in Toronto. After about six months, I got PR here and this has been a huge relief and life changing experience. I’m so thankful that I no longer need to worry about work visas and have many doors open to me!
- Another milestone from last Spring/Summer is that I had my first photography exhibit. This was one of those serendipitous things – I had been enjoying taking photographs for the last 2-3 years and I applied to the Toronto Public Library call for art exhibits on a whim and some insistence from my best friend N after I had told him about it. To my utter surprise, they selected me and a collection of about 50 of my photographs were exhibit at one of the TPL branches for a month. Learning everything about art exhibits in a couple of months and making it happen was a bit crazy but I was so happy that it worked out! My collection was titled “Reflections: Emotions Beneath the Surface” and and contained photographs captioned with quotes or personal reflections.
- I enjoy traveling and it always brings me joy. I traveled a fair bit over the last year and a half. In the Spring of last year, I went to the Canadian Rockies with S 1 and BIL 1 and then to Montreal with my cousin who was visiting from India. In the Summer, I literally ran away from life on a camping trip to the gorgeous Bruce Peninsula National Park with a meetup group, and also made a short trip to Pittsburgh to attend close friends’ wedding and met many old friends. In the Fall, I traveled alone to the beautiful Quebec City, to Edmonton to celebrate Diwali with family, and to Vancouver and Whistler to attend a conference and met an old close friend. In the winter, I went on a short weekend getaway to Niagara Falls with S1 and BIL to celebrate my birthday. Lo and behold, I went on my first trip to Europe with S1 this Spring and we visited Southern Italy and Spain (yes, it finally happened!). I also made a quick trip to Phoenix and Sedona in the Spring! Okay, writing this made me realize that I actually got to visit a lot of cool places in this time and I should probably stop complaining about not being able to travel! I know S1 is definitely nodding her head when I say this! Here’s hoping that the coming years are also filled with more rejuvenating travel experiences! What’s interesting is that most of these trips were planned quite last minute – I’m again not sure if that’s an effect of busy schedules or my current unwillingness to commit to any future plans in life.
- Another short or long term goal that I had been working towards was to find a non-research job. Attending many career seminars and information interviews over the last few years finally payed off and I started a new job in research administration last month. This is a short term contract position and I don’t know if this is what I want to do long-term but I’m happy to have this opportunity to learn many different aspects of grant applications, research administration, and have a significantly better work-life balance.
- My updates can’t be complete without any mention of dating stories, right?! Over dinner with a friend, I counted having met more than 20 men over a year and seven months in Toronto. This, in my opinion, is a big number. At this point, I declare that the Toronto dating pool is particularly bad. However, I’m still trying. When I feel lonely and sad, the only solace I have is that I have been making the effort to meet people and date and there’s not much else I can do! Most of my posts here, over the last year and a half, have been about B and getting over him. I met him when I went to Pittsburgh last summer and we are friends and talk ever so often. I have accepted that it’s over and have moved on for the most part. I do think about him when I repeatedly hit dead ends in the dating world but it doesn’t hit me the same way, thankfully. I was also kind of seeing someone last summer, someone who is a great guy and helped me get over B to some extent and is a friend now, but things didn’t work out – I don’t know if it was just bad timing or other reasons!
So, life has been pretty good overall. Of course, there are some troughs too, but for a change, let’s focus on the crests this time! I will be back to write about the troughs, and hopefully soon this time! If you’re still reading this space that rarely ever gets updated, hope you’re doing well! What’s new in your life?
Song on my mind – Pehli Baar from Dil Dhadakne Do – I love the energy in this song and use it to get up and start doing things!